1. A bouquet of basil might be more beautiful than a dozen roses.
2. When mom tells you, “Sweet Dreams, don’t let the bugs bite, ” she means it. Don’t let the bugs bite! They are disgusting, terrible pests that might as well require you to move. Ask the magician. He knows. Fortunately for me, they typically bite only one person in the bed.
3. El Pollo Rico is a Riverside gem. Order a whole charcoal-grilled chicken combo with extra green sauce. You will not be disappointed. Bonus, El Pollo Rico is really fun to say out loud.
4. Homemade desserts make friends’ birthdays better, particularly home-baked Fat Witch brownies.
5. Dirty Sixth Street Scavenger hunts make friends’ birthdays infinitely better.
6. Julia Child must have been speaking about omelettes when she said this: ” The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you’ve got to have a what-the-hell attitude.”
7. Building a career is not always as easy as this roasted cherry tomato pasta…especially in this economy.
8. Mangoes grow in Texas…in McAllen by G & S Groves. Surprised? Me too.
9. Our hell-like temperatures are not the only topic of conversation. Popsicles, ice cream sandwiches, and margaritas also make pleasant small talk.
10. And on a non-food related note, dust your ceiling fan. You probably never notice, while it’s spinning way up there, but it’s filthy. Really, really filthy.